I’ve been rather fortunate to be raised by a caring mother who was a social worker for 37 years. My mom always saw the good in everyone, no matter who they were, and instilled that in me via her actions. She was, and still is, very observant and considerate towards older people and that is what drew me to this amazing video:
After watching it, I did a little research on who was behind this. It is a company called Music & Memory. The company is focused on enabling the elderly to live a better, enhanced life courtesy of technology and music. The companies mission statement is quite awesome:
Our Mission is to improve the quality of life for the elderly and infirm through the use of personalized music and digital technology.
Our strategy is simple:
- Support the initiation of iPod-based personalized music programs regardless of one’s location (e.g., at home, in a nursing home, assisted living facility, hospital, or hospice).
- Raise public awareness about the benefits of keeping engaged with a rich, personalized music environment regardless of physical, cognitive, or social condition.
- Care that your music can and should be timeless, even if only for a few people.
- Care that making someone else happy with your art is awesome.
- Care about and get smart around every way possible to share your music.